Happy New Year everyone! Apologies for the post-festive season lateness and brevity of this update, but there are still a few good things happening during the dark days of mid-winter…
Have you been Trumped?
We will be showing the film You’ve Been Trumped at our usual Tuesday evening meeting at the Garland…
You’ve Been Trumped is a 2011 documentary by British filmmaker Anthony Baxter. The film documents the construction of a luxury golf course on a beach in Balmedie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland by developer Donald Trump, and the subsequent struggles between the locals and Donald Trump and Scottish legal and governmental authorities. The film was briefly ranked as the highest rated British film of all time on the Internet Movie Database.
Read more about the film on Wikipedia.
When: Tuesday, 20 January 2015 @ 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm
Where: The Garland, 5 Brighton Road, Redhill, Surrey RH1 6PP (Map)
Admission free. All welcome.
Did you, or anyone you know, receive a new bike for Christmas? If that has left you with an old, and no longer wanted, bike then please consider donating it to Bikes Revived in Merstham. There it will be expertly restored or recycled with usable parts being used for other bikes. (They also offer a bike assembly and safety check service for new boxed bikes.)
- A reminder that the Woodland Trust have free tree packs to give away to schools, communities and youth groups for spring 2015. See here for more information.
- The renewable energy social enterprise Energy4All has started a 38 degrees petition, calling on the Financial Conduct Authority to stop blocking the creation of new renewable energy co-ops.
- Grow Wild has thousands of free seed kits for groups to share, so people can transform local spaces into beautiful, inspiring and colourful wild flower havens. Sign up here.
Dates for your Diary
- Saturday 10 January – Acoustic Music Session at The Garland. Monthly acoustic music session at The Garland, Redhill from 3pm-6pm. A very informal session involving musicians of all standards. All welcome. See this page for details.
- Also on Saturday 10 January – Wassailing in Dorking. Back by popular demand. Expect hot drinks, a bonfire for marshmallows and a community get together at the start of the new year. Held at the Dorking Community Orchard from late afternoon to late evening. All are welcome. See here for more details.