A Walk on the Wild Side
UPDATED: Unfortunately, we are unable to show the film ‘Project Wild Thing’ this month. We hope to be able to show it soon. We will still be holding our usual monthly meeting at the Garland on 21 October though, so please come and say hello!
When: Tuesday, 21 October 2014 @ 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm
Where: The Garland, 5 Brighton Road, Redhill, Surrey RH1 6PP (Map)
Admission free. All welcome.
Free Fruit Day – 25 October
As mentioned last month, members of Transition Redhill and Growing Redhill will be organising Free Fruit Day on Reigate High Street again this year on Saturday 25 October. We will be re-distributing local fruit, with a take home message to “grow your own”.
To make it happen, we need volunteers to help with picking fruit, collecting fruit donations, putting up posters and manning the stall. Please see the event page on our website for more information, and get in touch if you think you can help out.
Go green, save money
A new scheme called Eco-Rewards is currently being rolled out across Surrey. The scheme is backed by Surrey County Council via its Travel Smart initiative.
The aim of the scheme is to reward people for using a green form of transport when travelling to and from work. They are rewarded with points worth up to £2.50 every day that they walk, cycle or take public transport to get to and from work. They can also receive points worth up to £1.25 for every day that they work from home. The financial value of the rewards, are paid for by 1000s of well-known retailers offering cash-back on online purchases. Special discounts and offers are also available to members of the scheme.
If you are interested in finding out more, email firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the contact form at http://www.smartran.co.uk/ecorewards/.
Grants for Solid Wall Insulation
Action Surrey recently announced that they have been awarded over £2.5million funding from the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) to fund the Streets Ahead project. Streets Ahead can provide you with a grant of £3,500 to contribute towards the cost of solid wall insulation. Plus there is an additional £1,000 shopping voucher for the first 8 residents who install insulation under the project.
Visit http://www.actionsurrey.org/streetsahead to read the Streets Ahead brochure online and watch the information video.
Other dates for your Diary
- Sunday 5 October – Picnic at Horse Hill drilling site. An exploratory oil well is currently in operation at Horse Hill near Horley. There’s no fracking involved (at least for now), but Frack Free Surrey are holding a picnic near the site to raise awareness with cakes, entertainment and information. 2pm – 4pm. Visit frackfreesurrey.com or the Facebook event page for more information.
- Saturday 11 October – Memorial Park Redhill Community Day. The grand re-opening of Memorial Park Growing Redhill will have a stall at the event.
- Saturday 11 October – Acoustic Music Session at The Garland. Monthly acoustic music session at The Garland, Redhill from 3pm-6pm. A very informal session involving musicians of all standards. It combines a jamming group and a songwriting group, and new members are more than welcome. Details from Sue Fenton on 07931 541369 or email@example.com, or visit the Reigate and Redhill Songwriters Club on Facebook.
- Sunday 12 October – “Protect the Green Belt” walk Learn more about some of Green belt sites proposed to be developed to meet the government’s housing targets. Organized by Mole Valley Green Party but open to all. Starts at Pippbrook Council offices in Dorking at 10:00am. Visit www.facebook.com/MoleValleyGreenParty for more info.
- Monday 13 October – Frack Free Surrey Public Meeting. Following on from the Horse Hill picnic (see above) Frack Free Surrey are hosting a public meeting in Horley to consider a strategy towards oil and gas developments in the area. Speakers from Balcombe and from the Horse Hill oil company have been invited.7pm till 9pm. Visit frackfreesurrey.com or the Facebook event page for more information.